Thursday, June 3, 2010

Day 2 in Rome

Today was pretty busy! We left the hostel at around 10:00 for Rome, and when we got there, we started our walking tour. From there, though, my Michelangelo class split off from the rest of the group so that we could visit some sites pertinent to our class. We went to the Church of San Pietro in Vincoli where his Moses statue is, and that was really incredible.

After that, we met the rest of our group at the Trevi Fountain...which is just beautiful. Alyssa and I threw coins over our backs in to the fountain because that's what everyone else was doing, haha. Then, a few of us had lunch in this pizza place close by, and I had some amazing pizza with fresh tomatoes and basil on it. Simple but so good! We had some time left after that so we ended up perusing through some shops and stuff. We had more time than we thought we would to wander around, so about 7 of us went farther into Rome, and we ended up getting lost! We made it back to the Trevi Fountain about 20 minutes later than we were supposed to meet our group, but it was kind of fun just wandering around the streets and stuff (even though it really stressed me out for a couple minutes, per usual, haha).

From there, we went to the Pantheon. We didn't stay there long, but I was able to see Raphael's tomb , and that was really incredible. After that, we took a walking tour around the rest of Rome. I was able to take a lot of great pictures from different places, including the (supposed) site of Julius Caesar's murder and various ruins. From there, we finished up at the Coliseum, which is as beautiful as you'd expect it to be. All of us were super tired though, so we decided to come back on Saturday to go inside (it costs 11 euro to go inside of it). At that point, the group was allowed to do whatever they wanted, so myself and 3 of my roommates decided to take the metro back to our hostel...that was an adventure. It took us about an hour and a half, and we kept getting confused about which metro we needed to get on. We eventually made it to the right one, though!

Tonight, Alyssa and I went to restaurant about 2 minutes from our hostel called "Restaurante Cinese," haha. It was decent food for the price (no Sezchuan Garden though!), and we sat on clear glass that overlooked a coy pond...interesting, haha. I'm pretty exhausted now, so I think I'm gonna head to bed in a few minutes after finishing up some different stuff. We don't have classes on Fridays, so some of us are planning on sleeping in, perhaps heading to the beach, shopping, and eating all in Ostia tomorrow. We leave for Florence on Sunday, but Saturday a few of us are heading to Rome again! So, tomorrow will be our last "chill" day for a while, and I plan on enjoying it!

For now,

Hannah

1 comment:

jane b. said...

OK--now I've caught up (finally getting the blogspot to work on my computer.) Oh, I am reliving our walks and stops in Rome as you talk about them, and remembering the incredible artwork EVERYWHERE. You sound like you are doing great, keeping your stress level down and "going with the flow." Proud of your metro experience! I am just so happy for you!!!